A media planner, also known as a digital media planner is a professional associated with the media and communication industry. The media planners are mainly responsible for the research and development of various media plans. The professionals have to perform a creative job. They typically identify the target audiences for a particular product or service and then develop the effective media plans and campaigns in order to promote the business.
The Prerequisites for Entry into a Media Planner Career
Entering into a media career requires educational qualification related to any of the following branches such as advertising, marketing, communication, business management and statistics. It is recommended that the candidates should opt for an internship during their regular academic courses. This will help them in getting prior industry experience, which will prove to be very helpful in their future career.
The Skills Required on the Part of a Media Planner
If you are planning a career as a media planner, then you should possess the following skills:
- Ability to negotiate well.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Effective communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills and analytical skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- In-depth knowledge of the media and communication concepts.
The Job Role of a Media Planner
The job duties of a media planner include:
- Directly contacting with the clients and meeting their advertising needs.
- Developing and presenting various customized media plans for the clients and customers.
- Collecting and analyzing information about the various media channels.
- Showcasing various media management results.
- Delivering updated media reports to various clients.
- Preparing proposals and project prototypes for the clients.
- Leading the media content, graphics, design and web development team in planning oriented activities.